POSITION: Purchasing Manager
LOCATION: Tarrytown, NY
DEPARTMENT: Materials Management
REPORTS TO: Materials Management Senior Manager
Ampacet Corporation is a privately held, global company that manufactures ingredients that provide the color, texture and other qualities to most of the plastic items that consumers come in contact with countless times every day. We have over 2,000 employees in 17 countries around the globe, doing business with clients located in over 90 countries.
- Authenticity & Integrity
- Bias to Action
- Creativity & Engagement
- Environmental Care
- Knowledge Sharing & Teamwork
- Quality & Safety
- Working Hard While Having Fun
- Earning Trust
- Customer Focus
- Managing Work
- Decision Making
- Safety Focus
- Continuous Learning
The Purchasing Manager is responsible for control and negotiation of purchases of raw materials in a manner that assures cost effective and timely purchases, while maintaining a strong, ethical business relationships with all company suppliers.
- Responsible for managing all material supply chain activities that support production, such as directing buyers for purchases and working with plant schedulers to meet production schedules.
- Negotiate contracts for packaging and raw materials for the Company.
- Identify alternative packaging materials and raw materials as secondary sources that meet quality, cost and service requirements of the company’s purchasing needs.
- Work closely with suppliers to maintain quality of raw materials and timely shipments to plants.
- Analyze supplier performance to assess ability to meet quality and delivery requirements. Provide feedback to suppliers as needed.
- Manage various projects such as sourcing raw materials for new projects.
- Responsible for taking new or alternative raw materials through approval process with required departments.
- Actively maintain a close working relationship with Supply Chain, Sales, Manufacturing, Finance and other disciplines to provide optimum communication.
- Monitor inventories of raw materials at the plants.
- Coordinate communication of supplier activities and problems with manufacturing operations.
- Manage all relevant imports / exports between Ampacet Corporation from Ampacet Europe, as well as other related subsidiaries, licensees and subcontractors.
- Keep departments in the company aware of price fluctuations in order to maintain accurate records, via up-to-date maintenance of computerized price book.
- Coordinate and report on competitive business activities
- Report relevant market developments and provide analysis on the impact.
- Process quality complaints for raw materials and packaging directly with the suppliers to avoid recurrences.
- Adhere to and assist in policing all corporate policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership and insight to influence and drive future process or strategic procurement improvements.
- Maintain departmental compliance with ISO rules.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or Materials Science.
- Minimum 5 years purchasing / negotiating experience of ingredients/raw materials for the Plastics industry. Specific experience purchasing resins (PET, Nylon, ABS, SAN, PC) strongly preferred.
- Fundamental knowledge of compliance / legal requirements for supply contracts, Non-Disclosure Agreements, etc.
- Prior experience with a quality system (i.e. ISO 9000) preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to build strategic vendor relationships that provide a competitive advantage.
- High ethical standards consistent with company values
- Knowledge of masterbatch industry, and prior experience purchasing additives (Flame Retardants, Amides, Stearates) is a plus.
- Superior follow-up and organizational skills.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple projects.
- Computer proficiency w/ Excel, Outlook and demonstrated ability to learn JDEdwards
- Must be authorized to work in the US without the need for current or future sponsorship for employment visa status.
Please note that the Purchasing Manager position may be located in either the Tarrytown, NY or Mason, OH office locations.
Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted, no phone calls please.
Principles only, no search firms please.
Please click on to fill out the form as indicated. Please attach your resume in Word format.
Ampacet is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and will not discriminate against an applicant on the basis of age, sex, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.